Large Scale Central

1/8th #3462 Arrowhead Water Bottle Car build started

I should have thought of that!

The g scale version is moving closer.

I am almost finished building the siding for Arrowhead. Once the switch is finished (maybe tomorrow) I am going to cut the ties to length and put them to soak.

It has been many years since I hand-laid track but no time like the present!

Awesome!

Wow, this thread has layed dormant for way too long. Some of my photos in this thread have also “disappeared”. Have no idea why that happened. Maybe they were connected to the “old” freight sheds.

Anyway today, I found a source to do my three bottle tanks that go on this car. The man I’m working with now at Kent State in Ohio and fabricating the pneumatic trolley pole for our Baldwin electrics said he has the capability of pouring aluminum castings of the large tank ends. That was great news. These castings will be 14-9/16 inches in diameter and about 5/16 to 3/8 thick! Large chunks of aluminum. We will do the same thing with this casting as we have done with the small trolley pole castings. I will make a solid model in MasterCam and then convert it to use in Fusion 360. 3D print the very large pattern and make the sand mold and pour 6 tank ends in aluminum. All rivet detail in place with flanges to attach the three individual tanks.

Looks like I can finally start progressing on this car again!

Perhaps Neil Young can do a song about this thread considered it’s old and it involves Kent State and trains !

Interesting, I just ran across a picture of an old Arrowhead truck yesterday and was wondering if you had ever finished that car project you started. Now I can see the finish(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)