Large Scale Central

2017/2018 Winter photo thread

Winter starts Dec 1 for me (I go by the meteorological standards). The last week or so has been snowy out this way. Perfect opportunity to plow and run the live steam.

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, snow, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: snow, tree and outdoor

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

Image may contain: tree, snow, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: snow, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: snow, tree, outdoor and nature

I started working on my barrel layout but was forced to stop because of the snow. What can I do to get me by.

No automatic alt text available.

I’ll just keep sitting here by the woodstove and check out your pictures…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

few more

Image may contain: tree, snow, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, sky, snow, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: snow, tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: snow, tree, bridge, table, outdoor and nature

for videos go here. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kittatinnymtrr/videos/?ref=page_internal

Just STOP.

Last night I had intentions of firing up the Shay as we had a perfect dusting of snow. So far (6PM) I have not ventured outside my nice warm house.

Your railroad looks fantastic as always !

Nice shots Shawn. Quit sharing the snow(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thanks guys. Jon its snow again here, if i wasn’t working Id be out steaming again lol. You still have time, get the Shay out.

Fun! It’s gotten down to the low 70-s here…Almost too cool to go out and tinker with some repairs!

Nice !

I have no balls anymore

Thanks for the pics Shawn! Wish we had snow here, 40’s this weekend

Very nice photos Shawn, thanks for posting

Jerry

Here is a video of plowing on the SC&M Garden Railroad using an Aristo plow and double headed Western Maryland S-4 locomotives on track power. Conditions were just right to plow without ice on the rails

Jerry

The Candlewood Valley Scenic Railway attempted to get a Plow Extra to the East end of the line today without success. First C-19 #8 made it’s debut in plow service, but due to icy rail could not get up the grade beyond Wall…

Railroad management thought that diesel power might have more success, however M-10 running alone as darkness began to settle in was only able to get a few hundred feet further up the grade before they stalled as well…

It might have been different story of M-11 was available, but it currently sits on the dead line having ceased up a truck on it’s last time out in plow service. So until next week’s predicted thaw, the line East of Wall is out of service.

I give you an A+ Jon for trying. You did got some great shots. I had the same issues when I first opened the line. Took a lot of attempts with different engines. Its still a lot off fun trying.

Jon,

You need to put down sand! Fill up the sand domes and get to work. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Shawn Viggiano said:

I give you an A+ Jon for trying. You did got some great shots. I had the same issues when I first opened the line. Took a lot of attempts with different engines. Its still a lot off fun trying.

Jon’s pics are fantastic but you done threw Jerry under the bus for his video?

Jerry Bohlander said:

Here is a video of plowing on the SC&M Garden Railroad using an Aristo plow and double headed Western Maryland S-4 locomotives on track power. Conditions were just right to plow without ice on the rails

Jerry

Your plow does a great job!

I worked late into Christmas Eve re-configuring the C.V.S.Ry.'s “HEP” car “Shorty” to support a loco with speaker at either end in anticipation of Christmas morning snow. The job was completed very early Christmas morning and a double ended plow train was readied for a morning call. After a few hours of sleep a Plow Extra was called to attack the overnight snowfall. Here the new configuration poses for a photo on West Es-cap-e` Bridge…

Unfortunately, the extra struggled to move the heavy wet snow and met disaster while backing on the trestle to try the attack again. The rear plow derailed and as it went over the side it took locomotive M-11 and Shorty with it…

Fortunately the snow cushioned the fall and only minor damage was sustained on M-11. The engineer was thrown from his seat, but did not suffer any life threatening injuries…

However, until repairs can be made the plow train is out of service which is bad news for the line since a deep freeze is upon us that will turn the wet snow to ice overnight tonight.

Wow winter railroading is tough!