Large Scale Central

2020 NGRC in Nashville, who is going?

I’m still planning on going as I have never actually seen a garden layout. Been watching the flight prices drop today!

Dan, you should be easy to spot , I will be watching for you there!!!

That’s funny, at the Oregon convention, every one I visited did it all themselves and we were treated to many different techniques for roadbed, planting, etc.

Wait, I remember one guy who had his elevated layout made for him, but he did all his plants.

Greg

Plan is to go, but not sure how things will work out with the virus. When I start hearing the Navy Base is preping for an extended closure…

Pete Lassen said:

Dan, you should be easy to spot , I will be watching for you there!!!

For reference in case I’m wearing a mask

I was referring to the overalls! good to know it will be a black mask, with the overalls you should stand out!

Bob. Hope you still show up looking forward to meeting you there too, and anyone else on here!

when I first got into the G scale I went to an open house tour, Dennis Sirrines huge layout was on the tour and he was busy talking to club members, the second house we visited the 2 guys with the vests on were busy talking to each other and didnt seem interested in talking to me either, so I began on my own until I found LSC. After lurking for serveral weeks looking at different threads I posted a comment with a question and got some negative comments for digging up a post from several years ago and asking something. So its not just the people that have stuff build for them that can be kind of standoffish.

I still go to open house tours, and this year I am planning on making the convention, and if some people are clueless on how something was built/manufactured/ or they just do not know, then take some pictures , post them here and maybe someone else will know. There are all types and I think that supporting the hobby and helping it grow can only be done if other people get invited in , or see how fun this can be in person. Looking forward to meeting Dan, Greg and Bob and any others from LSC that are there.

edited for speling police

This weekend happens to be Tucson’s Garden Railway Society’s open house event. This year my family has quarantined me at home, but I remember meeting some who excelled at public speaking and others who shrank away from it, on previous tours. Kinda like our membership here.

One trick that worked for me, I’d ask each for permission to take photos and post them at LSC. That opened many doors…

Andy Clarke said:

I too stopped going to the conventions.

Just my 2 cents worth…

They didn’t want you there anyway so we don’t care!

John Caughey said:

This weekend happens to be Tucson’s Garden Railway Society’s open house event. This year my family has quarantined me at home, but I remember meeting some who excelled at public speaking and others who shrank away from it, on previous tours. Kinda like our membership here.

One trick that worked for me, I’d ask each for permission to take photos and post them at LSC. That opened many doors…

John , most of the Tucson People I have met are very friendly and we usually make it down there every year but had too much going on this year to make it. And they have some pretty good layouts to see there too,

The show is officially cancelled for this year, but will be in Nashville next year from May 30-June 5.

Bill Sakalaucks said:

The show is officially cancelled for this year, but will be in Nashville next year from May 30-June 5.

Where did you see it has been canceled?

Just got posted on Facebook.

wow Thanks I just saw it too, Thanks

Dennis

Kalmbach also just sent a email notice out as well. Denver and Bagrs also are going to step back one year. Geez I hope we have a vaccine before the year is out.

This seems to be the only model Railroad Convention that has not cancelled.

Nashville was hit hard with the Covid-19 virus and is still classified as the states hot spot.

NMRA for the first time has cancelled their convention in St Louis.

Reasons:

1.The hotel and convention area would not give the committee access to the area.

1. Clinicians started backing out.

2. Vendors started backing out.

3. Layouts started backing out.

St. Louis NMRA convention was scheduled a month after the Garden Railroad Convention.

I will not be going.

Dennis

I got a notice this morning that the 2020 Convention is cancelled for this year. They say it will be rescheduled next year.

Steve Featherkile said:

I got a notice this morning that the 2020 Convention is cancelled for this year. They say it will be rescheduled next year.

Steve - Thanks for the updated status. I would be shocked if, at this point, the convention wasn’t cancelled. Even if everyone wore N95 masks and disposable gloves, it would still be high risk to mass spreading of the Covid-19 to the attendees. Will the convention next year be held in Nashville, or do they pick another site?

Tom

The convention is in Nashville in 2021, the next to sites agreed to delay by a year.

Is the NGRC for 2021 in Nashville still in the works? I have not read otherwise, but I was just wondering. It is close enough to attend and am looking forward to it. Thanks.