Large Scale Central

American Invasion 2006

There will be another of our annual American Invasions in 2006…
This is another chance to operate and have fun on the IPP&W…and to visit up here in Ottawa…
PARTY is the name of the game…meeting friends and sharing knowledge…get your supply of Western Red Cedar…enjoy a new bheer…buy a Cuban ceegar…see a real Shay in action…If you get here early you could go bass fishing with Snortin’ Norton…or visit the Pub Italia, for a chance to sample 200 bheers in bottles or cans, and 36 bheers on tap…

Yes you can operate your live steamer in an operation…and yes you can bring your wife/girlfriend, or both…!!!
…sorry…no track power, and Kadee couplers are standard…you don’t need to bring rolling stock…we have lots…
There are a couple of other pikes to visit…

The date will be set soon…probably in July, as it was last year…suggestions are welcome…

US Dollars will still in all probability be worth a lot… Crappy Tire Money is accepted at par…

Fr.Fred

Yes, it is time for that to start being farther than the plannning stage. The first full week after 4th of July has worked well for us. How about around the weekend involving the 15th of July? Just a suggestion, we are quite flexible.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric Golding
Kaskaskia Valley Railway
Carlyle, Illinois

We’ll be there. May even bring Will this time. We had a blast this summer.

Looking forward to it!

…so far…the general feeling is to look at the July 15th weekend…Saturday is July 15th…but we do have to see what that date might conflict with…hopefully nothing…

Comments…

Anybody know if any of the conventions are near that date?

Garden Railway Convention

LGB Convention

Narrow Gauge

Smooth Sailing,
Ric Golding
Kaskaskia Valley Railways
Carlyle, Illinois

Bastille day in July 14…:slight_smile:

any weekend works for me…

So far the American Invasion is booked for July 15th weekend…you can come any time in the week…and leave anytime after…The 15th is a SATURDAY…
Fr.Fred

Bruce,
With Bastille day being on the 14th, does that impact the invasion positively or negatively?
Smooth Sailing,
Ric Golding
Kaskaskia Valley Railway
Carlyle, Illinois

I imagine that some over in France might be celebating the success of some retreat or something on the 14th…!!!

The Invasion seems to be taking shape with “Scouting Trips” spanning out into the country side after the weekend.

I’m going to tie my time down at work, today. I guess most of you guys don’t have these concerns.

We plan to be underway from 12 July through 20 July.

rgolding said:
Anybody know if any of the conventions are near that date?

Garden Railway Convention

LGB Convention

Narrow Gauge

Smooth Sailing,
Ric Golding
Kaskaskia Valley Railways
Carlyle, Illinois

Who needs a convention when we have all this right accross the border. " The Can-Am Operators Convention"…might be a better way to phrase it. If you tell the border guards your reason for visiting Canada is for “The American Invasion” they may take it the wrong way…:wink:

We were asked by the border guards about our destination and reason, we said - Ottawa for the American Invasion". Their only answer was “God speed”.

…Anyone interested in the American Invasion 2006:

The hotel this year is the "Monterey Inn/resort"
2259 Prince of Wales Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K2E 6Z8, The Dominion of Canada.
        telephone 1(800) 565-1311.......tell them you would like a room for the "American Invasion 2006"

Rates are: 2 persons, for over 2 nights; $109 Cdn plus taxes per night
           1 extra person in the room $10
If you stay only one night, it costs you $149

…incudes Continental breakfast.
…free local telephone calls, and parking.
check it out at: www.montereyinn.com

Try to arrive for the Friday afternoon…the big party is on Friday afternoon/evening…

For any other questions call Fr.Fred, at (613) 723-1911, or email at:
millsf@sympatico.ca

Fr.Fred

Fred Mills said:
....Anyone interested in the American Invasion 2006:
The hotel this year is the "Monterey Inn/resort"
2259 Prince of Wales Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K2E 6Z8, The Dominion of Canada.
        telephone 1(800) 565-1311.......tell them you would like a room for the "American Invasion 2006"

Rates are: 2 persons, for over 2 nights; $109 Cdn plus taxes per night
           1 extra person in the room $10
If you stay only one night, it costs you $149

…incudes Continental breakfast.
…free local telephone calls, and parking.
check it out at: www.montereyinn.com

Try to arrive for the Friday afternoon…the big party is on Friday afternoon/evening…

For any other questions call Fr.Fred, at (613) 723-1911, or email at:
millsf@sympatico.ca

Fr.Fred

I hope room service is better than that fleabag place I stay at…the managers grumpy and opinionated, bed don’t get made, gotta make my own coffee, but then again, the price is right and the hospitality second to none!!..:wink:

Arrangements (reservations) have been made. Life is good. Already planning what to bring. An amazing process of diplomacy here. I wonder why the UN can’t get it to work out like this. Maybe it is the lack of trains, a common interest and, oh yes, the Rum. Not enough rum in this world, it resolves all problems, can be used as an aftershave or mouthwash. You may not end up smelling like other people would desire you to, but ya don’t care.

Ric Golding said:
We were asked by the border guards about our destination and reason, we said - Ottawa for the American Invasion". Their only answer was "God speed".
A little sense of humor goes a long way, something the American border people could use. Then again, they're under a lot more pressure, but a little common sense would help out tremendously. I was told when re-entering the US that I needed a either a passport or a birth certificate, that any foriegn student at Penn State could get a driver's license. While I appreciated the compliment anybody with any kind of sense could see I wasn't a student at Penn State.........;)

We are confirmed; checking in on the 14th, departing on the 16th. We’ll be driving up on the 13th…but my wife wanted to spend one night at the Chateau Laurier downtown, so we’ll head there first.

What time does the party start on Friday?

In the past, whether I arrived on Thursday or Friday, the party was already underway. In fact, I got the distinct idea that it was a continuous celebration going on from the year before. Dangedous thing, it just goes on - people arrive and people leave, but I’m not sure it ever stops. If the Lord’s willing and the creek don’t rise, we will be there sometime Thursday afternoon.

I’ll write it in the planner.

I read an essay by a border guard. He said if possible, he always tries to talk to the children. The best response he ever got to “Anything to declare?” was an 8-year-old who chirped, “Only the pot in the back!” (They were pottery collectors.)

Last time I was north of the border, I was 9. US and Canadian money spent the same on both sides of the border for items a 9-year-old would be buying. More expensive things had two prices marked. I spent a few weeks with the Montanna cousins who lived just south of Regina one summer. In Plentywood MT, there seemed to be as much Canadian money as US around.