Large Scale Central

Broken , PS-10G/PHHobbies

Greetings;

Anyone out there have contact numbers for the former PHHobbies ‘support’ dept. ?

A email I sent to the reseller from whom I purchased the product bk in 2000;

"Back in 2000 you sold me one of these units since I wired it into my outdoor layout it has performed to spec. :sunglasses: Till yesterday when I could not get VDC juice out of it.

I was able to get it over to a local electronics hobbyist pre-lunch today. He does work on this technology (‘authorized’ repair person for MRC …}.

DO you have in your files a (scannable) schematic for the PS-10G, or a sample of this unit where we could get the leads/pin placement for the VU meter which at the moment on his bench seems to be the only thing wrong with it Although yesterday it definitely was not giving me juice on the vairable DC outlets (track), so there maybe one of those intermintent probs’ .

I believe PH closed down but are their documentation files round somewheres ? The phone number seems to be disconnected.

THANK you for your time and any info,
Doug C"

Now to post on a couple other forums … someone out there in the GR world, will have what I’m looking for !

Thanks Guys 'n Gals

doug
rockinbrr at hotmail dot com

Doug- I tried to respond late last night and ran into a glicth, now fixed.

Paul is out of the biz, according to the last phone conversation I had with him.
Sam’s PhotoFacts schematics aren’t available.

I have to dig into older stuff from time to time, and what I do is the same thing we did in the middle of the North Atlantic and greater than 400 feet…

I make a schematic.
Any trained ET should be able to do so.

Once you have it traced out, you can discern how it works and what it’s supposed to do, then find the probably faulty component.

As a general rule, a voltmeter failure won’t kill the output, but depending on where it failed, an ammeter can.

TOC

Thanks TOC for the input !

Yeah I recall bk whenever that they had sold out or jsut closed down . But always hoping that someone out in our GR world woul dhave acquired a schematic to make things a tad easier for our local tech person who has worked on this tech for years.

Merv has indicated worst case he’ll bypass the VUmeter before closing it up. Although it would be great to have it back online. He actually could not find any problems with the power output which is ‘bad’ as that indicates a intermittent wire thingie —worst situation for sure along with a faulty VU.

I was thinking today (as I’m not working today) to try to hunt down PaulH. ph. number via the internet, for his help at any level.

doug c

Doug- I tried to respond late last night and ran into a glicth, now fixed.

I was thinking today (as I’m not working today) to try to hunt down PaulH. ph. number via the internet, for his help at any level.

doug c

Last I talked to him he had taken a job with the FAA as a travelling supervisor for security.

He was not a happy camper.
He had so many sound systems coming back for “repair” that had tracks cut, wires added, components changed, which killed the boards.
He told me he certainly didn’t ship them that way.

So, he folded up and went away.

TOC

" so many sound systems coming back for “repair” that had tracks cut, wires added, components changed, which killed the boards. He told me he certainly didn’t ship them that way. "

Yepper I hear ya, no wonder a lot of the small manufacturers of mainly niche products go down the tubes or just close their doors . . . . when they got to try and deal with people who try to pull a fast one. A variant of that in this new millenium are parents of kids who will not take responsiblity for their lack of control or lack of commonsense and try to pass it off on someone else {sorry just regional incident rekindled that . . . }

Anyways, in my quest to find Paul H. on the internet (so I can personally ask him if he has a schematic/pin-lead diagram) I found a interesting read under google to a link that had a story on a 38 yr old who bought up most of the parts on a failed Model A replica venture. It sounds like Paul did not do very well either . . . and reportedly moved on to Athens, where I guess he subsequently started up PH Hobbies.

leugo,
Doug C

Yepper I hear ya, no wonder a lot of the small manufacturers of mainly niche products go down the tubes or just close their doors . . . . when they got to try and deal with people who try to pull a fast one. A variant of that in this new millenium are parents of kids who will not take responsiblity for their lack of control or lack of commonsense and try to pass it off on someone else {sorry just regional incident rekindled that . . . }

Anyways, in my quest to find Paul H. on the internet (so I can personally ask him if he has a schematic/pin-lead diagram) I found a interesting read under google to a link that had a story on a 38 yr old who bought up most of the parts on a failed Model A replica venture. It sounds like Paul did not do very well either . . . and reportedly moved on to Athens, where I guess he subsequently started up PH Hobbies.

leugo,
Doug C

Yes, he was into old cars for a while.
I think those replicas were Shays, of all things.
Been a long, long time.
I remember when they came out in 72 or 73.
BTW, all of his returns that were modified were from one company, according to him.
He was NOT happy that they had their “experts” re-work the product.
I’ve always wondered about that.
I know some that are still working, and they were bought from other sources than that company, and were installed in locos by the consumer.
Other than the occasional battery, still working.

TOC

leugo,
Doug C

Hi Doug.
I knew Paul very well when PH Hobbies first started.
He told me that it was like a Phoenix that had risen from the ashes of the Thunderbird replica operation he had been running in CA when the new requirements for product insurance forced closure of the business.

Although I like Paul personally and have travelled to a number of GR Conventions with him as a room mate, I cannot recommend any of his LS products except perhaps the regular 3 amp trackside transformer controllers.
I am still owed a number of defunct sound systems belonging to good customers who have blamed me for Paul’s disinterest.

"…BTW, all of his returns that were modified were from one company, according to him.
He was NOT happy that they had their “experts” re-work the product. "

Yes our local expert indicated that this PS-10G power unit had wiring that would not have received CSA approvals (so he is going to upgrade to spec.).

But how much product is shipped back and forth that does not have recipient countries approvals
For the U.S.A. I believe it is UL and up here it is CSA ?
PacificRim, Central/South America - LOL !

I told Merv I would give him a call on friday at the latest earlier if someone out there had the info I was looking for . . . . probably any applicable files went into a landfill or a weiner roast somewheres *-(

oh well,
Doug