Large Scale Central

Cement rock casting

Devon Sinsley said:

I can’t seem to find it.

Just do a search for “quikrete”. I did and got this from Walmart.

Lowes has it as well.

Devon, two people come to mind that have used mortar mix and concrete products for building rock formations. Dennis Rayon and Bob Treat. Both have beautiful railroads using their techniques. They also go into great detail explaining their processes.

Devon, yet another person I recall has a site on YouTube that has a unique formula for cement mixtures he uses for some real interesting rock work. His channel is"dperry428"

That vinyl patch maybe a good idea. I have used it before and never considered it. Its a lot more pliable than concrete. And I am not making a bunch of rock. Actually relatively small amount so it wouldn’t break the bank. And to blend the molded rocks together it would be easy to work with. I like this idea.

Peter Lewitzke said:

Devon, two people come to mind that have used mortar mix and concrete products for building rock formations. Dennis Rayon and Bob Treat. Both have beautiful railroads using their techniques. They also go into great detail explaining their processes.

I don’t believe it was Dennis that I was referring too (although I could be wrong) but I do love his rock work. But the name Bob treat does ring a bell. I will search for his threads.

Devon:

Just did a few searches. Bob Treat does not seem to be on LSC (at least searching for “treat” and limiting it to members comes up empty).

Googling the wider interwebs found an article on familygardentrains.com** [link]** that mentions him, and also Ray Turner of the Mystic Mountain Railroad [link].

You can see some of Ray’s rock work on his site here: [link]

Bob Treat’s Snow Creek Railroad can be seen in this Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHYDZei5Fyw

I have found his RR but he definitely was not the one on here. I am wonder now if I am remembering a thread from MyLargeScale. I don’t know. But either way at this point I am not concerned as I think I have enough to go on. I lent the molds to a club member so this will be on hold until I get them back.

But to everyone who chimed in, thanks.

IMG_0670[1] by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

I love the concrete effects, hard work yes but can be a wow factor

IMG_0612 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_0661[1] by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

This mountain is 10 ft tall

So Dennis,

Your layout is one of the inspirations for this particular area of my layout. It is only a small section but is far to vertical for me to do in stacked rock like the rest of my layout. So i decided to do a cliff scene. Your layout immediately jumped to mind. I know you have done tutorials on how you did it. Can I get a link or two. especially on what you use for your mix. I have molds. I just need to know what mix to use. And then also how you are attaching things and blending. I know I have scene you do a write up on it.

Are you the one I am thinking of that did the casting with latex molds then putting the molded rock on a screen mesh and then blending them in with mortar?

Devon

Thanks for your compliments, I love sharing about mountain building. I have made 2 videos on youtube and had planned on making more but that just did not happen.

But these two are very informative on the technique that has worked best for me. Watch these then get back with questions and I will try to help. Good Luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLGXIrIm44A You will see part 2 in the side videos to click on

Dennis

I always love seeing your work Dennis!

Dennis, those pictures show off some beautiful workmanship…

Thank You, Cliff and Andy For your compliments.

I hope the video will show anyone interested how concrete mountains can be obtained, may not be easy but results are good.

Thanks Dennis

That’s some VERY good looking work, Dennis!

Thanks Bruce, Concrete can be work, but with great results

Dennis

Dennis Rayon said:

Thanks Bruce, Concrete can be work, but with great results

Dennis

Plus, if done right, it can last for a LONG time!