Large Scale Central

Custom LGB Rack Loco

Thanks for all the help on the boxcar

Next mystery is trying to figure out the identity of this LGB Rack loco,

I think it is a model of a Pikes Peak cog loco. Most Mt Washington cog locos have a tender.

The mechanism is LGB and I suspect most of the parts are as well.

It is reported to have been custom built but from what.

Stan

I find the cylinder choice odd, appears to be running off the valve chest… but then again…

Manitou and Pike's Peak Railway 1891-2016: 125 years on the Peak ...

Toys & Hobbies CD Picture Disc of Manitou & Pikes Peak Cog Railway ...

John;

I think the Pike’s Peak rack locomotives were a form of Vauclain compound. (Named for Samuel Vauclain, the chief design engineer for Baldwin Locomotive Works around the turn of the 20th century.) The low pressure cylinder was mounted above the high pressure cylinder, and the valve chest was behind those two. Vauclain compounds were high maintenance machines, and somewhat finnicky runners. The system may have worked acceptably for rack operations, as there was very little speed involved.

Best Wishes, David Meashey

Stanley Ames said:

Next mystery is trying to figure out the identity of this LGB Rack loco,

I think it is a model of a Pikes Peak cog loco. Most Mt Washington cog locos have a tender.

The mechanism is LGB and I suspect most of the parts are as well.

It is reported to have been custom built but from what.

Stan

Does it have a single cog wheel under the loco?

Most likely the mechanism is from LGB’s first cog locomotive available circa 1985.

I am pretty sure this was custom built by New Hampshire Garden Railway member George Konrad.

I first saw it or a VERY similar one at a nursery in the southeast of Boston.

One of the members of the NHGRS might know how to contact him in his new location in California.

I had some pictures but they are on some old hard drive somewhere.

Pictures were from around turn of the century:-(

A friend of mine had a custom modified LGB COG loco and he mentioned that there were 3 custom mods made by the person he bought this from. That was over 15 years ago.

Thanks all for the help. The knowledge base here is fantastic. The loco was indeed built by George Konrad and I have been in contact with him. The loco has a single cog wheel.

George built 5 of these locomotives, Four of which were were a basic detail and one (this one) had a lot more detail in the number of cylinders an other items.

It is indeed a model of a Pikes Peak locomotive and used a stock LGB model as its starting point,

Anyone have an idea of the LGB model used as the starting point?

Thanks

Stan

The number on the motor block 22460 designated this one.

Dave Meashey said:

John;

I think the Pike’s Peak rack locomotives were a form of Vauclain compound. (Named for Samuel Vauclain, the chief design engineer for Baldwin Locomotive Works around the turn of the 20th century.) The low pressure cylinder was mounted above the high pressure cylinder, and the valve chest was behind those two. Vauclain compounds were high maintenance machines, and somewhat finnicky runners. The system may have worked acceptably for rack operations, as there was very little speed involved.

Best Wishes, David Meashey

You are correct.