Large Scale Central

Haitian Sugar Train in On30

well, Tom, then let’s start with a question:

is it 1:45?

revied the pics and i am as impressed, as i was last year.

(don’t know, if that is the quality of your modeling, or my alzheimer… ;-p )

Hi Korm. It is 1:48. It is actually called On30 which is 1:48 scale trains on HO track. Sounds like some of the bizarre scales in “G” doesn’t it.

Glad you liked it. Thinking about switching totally to On30 because of my advancing age and ever increasing “weed work,etc.” on the Garden RR.

You were smart to build yours indoors and at a civilized height.
Doc Tom

Awesome equipment and scenery detailingwith each pic capturing a local flavor!

This is something, thanks for sharing it with us. Now off to read the tree article on Big Indoor Trains :slight_smile:

It is a very special layout indeed.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Tom Grabenstein said:
…You were smart to build yours indoors and at a civilized height.

well, that was my wife. she made me build my new office a “little bit” bigger, to include the trains.

o-tone: “you get older and less mobile, i don’t want you heatstroked in the garden, or falling down the stairs from the attic.”

1:48. hmm. now i understand.

i only read “O”… and by the ratio of gauge to figures and buildings it looked similar to my eco-trains. (o-gauge, in playmobil scale, inherited from my daughters). so i had to ask.

That is really neat! Well kinda messy in a cool way. I love all the rich detail. Having never been to Haiti I can only imagine it, and your layout looks the part! Well done!

Thank you everyone. This little layout has been a lot of fun. I took a black-and-white picture of the Port-au-Prince side of the micro and showed it to some of my friends in Haiti . They began to argue about which part of town was in the photograph. We had a lot of laughs when they realized it was a photograph of a model train.

Dr. Tom

And that sounds like success! Cool.

Not my cup of tea but still cool !

As always …nice work Doc

David Russell said:

Not my cup of tea but still cool !

As always …nice work Doc

How about a cup of Rum from this backwoods (back jungle?) distillery in very rural Haiti?

When the train is not running local transportation of sugar cane by a four legged friend.

Squeezing the juice from the cane is the first step to a “Rum Punch”…in Haiti cheaper than a Coca Cola.

Doc Tom :slight_smile:

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Guaranteed to be not more than thirty days old, right, Doc?

In the immortal words of Sarah Palin “You betcha!”

Actually , at that very still I was offered a drink…I politely declined.

Doc Tom

Yeah well ya’ gotta give them credit for what they have to work with

and alcohol being alcohol, there is no big problem about sterile operations.

at least it’s honest booze. not artificially colored and flavored, like our expensive drinks.

David Russell said:

Yeah well ya’ gotta give them credit for what they have to work with

They do work very hard and struggle to get by on a per capita of $365 a year. That’s why I wanted to honor their railroad from the past.

Doc Tom

Korm Kormsen said:

and alcohol being alcohol, there is no big problem about sterile operations.

at least it’s honest booze. not artificially colored and flavored, like our expensive drinks.

That it is. There is nothing artificial in the production of this rum. Barbancourt Rhum is made in Haiti and is very popular around the world.

Doc Tom

Here is a little video I made about the Little Sugar Cane Train in 1920 Haiti.

(https://youtu.be/RI4dNPWptnk)

Doc, did they have video cameras back in the 1920s?