Large Scale Central

Identity of Manufacturer for a 120.3 Wood Boxcar

I have a wood (not plastic) 1:20.3 D&RGW 3000 series box car.

I suspect it may be a built up Hartford kit. Is there any​ way to tell for sure?

Thanks

Stan

Phil’s Narrow Gauge produced some wood kits

He at one time also worked with Don Winter on some kits.

Sorry, I have no pics.

Phil has not produced kits in a long time.

http://www.philsnarrowgauge.com/30’%20Boxcar.html

You’ll have to poke around his site as there is a 27’ boxcar, too.

Phil has a Customer photo page with some familiar names on the pics: BD and Bruce Chandler.

http://www.philsnarrowgauge.com/Customer%20Photo’s.html

Hope this helps!

I have scratch built 1:20.3 boxcars using parts from Phils and Hartford. When finished, you couldn’t tell the difference from the kits.

So your boxcar could have been scratch built as well.

Stanley Ames said:

I have a wood (not plastic) 1:20.3 D&RGW 3000 series box car.

I suspect it may be a built up Hartford kit. Is there any​ way to tell for sure?
Thanks
Stan

There’s a different level of detail between a PNG Kit and a Hartford kit. The PNG kits are VERY sturdy.
For instance, this PNG Reefer has brass grab irons held in place with brass pins.

This Hartford Caboose has everything cast but in finer detail; as I recall, there were holds pre-drilled to hold the grab irons…but the metal is rather soft.

There’s a lot of under body detail as well.

If you could post a picture, it MIGHT help…or it might just be too difficult to tell!

Thanks for all who have provided thoughts. I also apologize for the 4 posts. I have no idea how this happened.

I have attached 2 photos. In looking closely at the trucks they do not appear to be Accucraft trucks because they have a slotted screw holding the sideframes and the brake rigging is much different.

If these are Hartford trucks that would solve the cars identity.

Stan

Stanley Ames said:

Thanks for all who have provided thoughts. I also apologize for the 4 posts. I have no idea how this happened.

I have attached 2 photos. In looking closely at the trucks they do not appear to be Accucraft trucks because they have a slotted screw holding the sideframes and the brake rigging is much different.

Stan

I was shortchanged! I only got to see ONE post. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)

I’m thinking Hartford, but I don’t have ANY Hartford trucks to go by. (I could NEVER get them to assemble correctly and then Rodney offered some that were so much better!). The under body sure looks like it could be Hartford, but the only Hartford kit I ever built was the caboose - yet it just has that same sort of look.

Stanley Ames said:

. . .

Stan

Stan, I have attached 3 photos from the Hartford calalog. Their boxcar, the underside of the caboose (sure looks like your trucks!) and the D&RGW 3’ 7" truck. It might give you some details.

A thought! Scrape the back of a truck sideframe. Hartford are white metal. Accucraft trucks are brass.

Stan,

Defiantly Hartford no question. looks to be in good condition. do you want to swap for an Accucraft one? it even has the right couplers on it.

Al P.