Large Scale Central

Installation 40mm Speaker into LGB Chloe's Fuel/Water Bunker

Happy 4th Fellow Hobbyists! I’ve installed about 10 DCC sound decoders into customers’ LGB Chloe and Olomana steamers. I’ve always used a smaller Soundtraxx 27mm Mega Bass Speaker which sounds good. However, the basic principle for installing speakers is to use the largest good quality speaker possible for the best sound fidelity. So I was determined in my latest installion to use a 40mm 3 Watt 8 Ohm speaker I’ve used in Stainz conversions. After lots of Dremel work to modify the rear fuel/water bunker and cover including relocating the water input pipe, I achieved the fitment. This effort approach should not be tried unless you can do detailed and tedious Dremel work. To reconfigure the top cover, I cut out the water intake tube and repositioned for the protuding speaker using epoxy putty. The Soundtraxx Tsunmai2 TSU2200 2 Amp sound decoder and CurrentKeeper capacitor were used and I also programmed automatic sounds: one whistle toot and 12 bell rings starting forward movement, and three toots and 12 bell rings starting reverse movement. I also installed an LGB 18v. smoker into the Chloe smoke stack wired to track power. See photos below…I’ll also post a short video if I figure out how to do so.

UPDATE: Apparently my photos are too large…got an error message this forum trying to post both the video and photos. So, instead, here’s a link to my Website with the demo video and the installation photos.

https://www.olddominionrailways.com/lgb-locomotive-demo-videos