OK, The 1st thing was to tair it apart and see what I was workin with, 2nd thing I needed to do was to paint the boiler and cab the way I wanted.
I cant stand all black steam loco, so as this version was all black it got the graphite paint treatment to the boiler and smoke box. All the chrome detail parts and hand rail will be painted with engine black. Bell and pop off valves will be painted brass color.
Next I set my sights on detailing the cab interior with a NYC green color and painted some of the back head details to make it look better once I install a cab light. With just these few paint modifications the engine looks much better and less Toy like.
Now with the cab mounted back on you can see it looks much better to the eye.
Next I moved on to installing the metal USA Trains smoke unit in the boiler, I plan on running a QSI or Zimo decoder with sound and cuffing smoke depending on which shows up at my door 1st. Smoke unit install went faily easy as all I need to do was fab up a few L brackets and screw it in. What nice about this smoke unit install is that the boiler has a plastic bulkhead just behind the stack and made the install pretty easy.
OK Thats it for now more to come soon. Nick