Large Scale Central

Loco's having a bad day

Just ran across this page that addresses steam locomotives after having a boiler explosion. Some of these iron horses are having a very bad hair day!

Steam Loco’s after a Boiler Explosion

Reminds me of the movie “Independence Day”

Ooh, that reminds me that I have to pick up some spaghetti for tonight’s dinner, thanks.

Thanks Cliff;

I had seen a few of those photos before. We had a low water situation one day when I was working on the Crown Metal Products 4-4-0 at Hershey Park. There was no explosion, but the solder core melted out of the safety plug in the crown sheet of the firebox. 155psi trying to get through a half inch hole makes a fearful roar. It happened just as I was taking the last shovel of hot coals out of the firebox. I jumped clean over my shovel without realizing it! It sounded like an entire SAC squadron had scrambled right beside me. Glad I was young. If that happened now (I’m 74), I would probably be severely scrubbing my briefs!

Best, David Meashey

If the crew was lucky they were killed instantly by the blast. If they were unlucky enough to survive the blast they died of scalding.

Ray;

I have a copy of the book Scalded to Death by the Steam by Katie Letcher Lyle. It has train wreck songs plus an account of the actual wreck. Prior to WWII, train wreck songs were very popular, a bit like sad, sad country songs are today.

Best, David Meashey