Large Scale Central

New Shelf Layout is Underway

My new shelf layout is underway, it is 22ft. long and from 2-3ft. wide as the pics will show. I will be a switching scene of the old Ft. Worth Stock Yards back in the late 1940’s to the early 1950’s. I will be running mainly diesel engines, but I do have two LGB Moguls that have been redone to my railroad theme, the Fort Worth & South-Western, which I may use at times. All power will have RailPro installed and will be battery powered, this way I have left myself an opening for outside running if I want to do that at another time, or run on other outdoor layouts, etc. I plan to highly detail the layout as many of you know I’m a modeler first and a runner second. I have plenty of room outside for a layout (2 acres), but have decided at this point in my life to stay inside and work in the A/C and Heated shop, I have plenty of work that I can do outside, having to keep up 2 acres will take most of your idol time around here. I don’t plan for this to be a work around clock project, but it won’t be put on the back burner either.

trainman

I’ll be following this…keep us updated, fine start.

Only 22 foot long? Is that big enough for a Texan? I predict you’ll be breaking through the walls on either end some day!

Following. Looking forward to the details!

Looks like this will be an interesting layout. Looking forward to see the detailing. Thanks for sharing this journey, John.

Great start John. I’ll be watching too!

time to start building some facades and flats along the wall.

also looks like you got room to expand with sufficient creativity.

Thanks for the encoring comments, like most some of you have said, I probably need to start with the backdrops first and work toward the front. I did put the engines (2) and rolling stock (18) on the layout and see how many pieces will fit, I will be switching them around to see if I need to make any track changes and how all will fit together. I have no time period for all this to happen, but I do plan to work at a pace that will keep things moving along.

trainman

No sound-deadening material like Homasote/foam/rubber/cork under the track to quiet things down?

Michael Kirrene said:

No sound-deadening material like Homasote/foam/rubber/cork under the track to quiet things down?

Ok, I just finished the shelf on Friday, yesterday I put the track in place to see if I liked the switching operations on the layout and it is in it’s testing stages right now and now your asking about roadbed on the third day.

trainman

My indoor track is laid directly on the plywood, most of which is on heavy framing built to support my weight. If it is noisy, I don’t notice it as objectionable.

Jon Radder said:

My indoor track is laid directly on the plywood, most of which is on heavy framing built to support my weight. If it is noisy, I don’t notice it as objectionable.

Jon, I found out by running my trains the last couple of days that what you say is true, I used 3/4" plywood and the structure is all 2x4 braced. Since my layout is a switching layout my engines are running slow and with the LGB solid brass track I hear no noise a all. As the mainline runs thru the yard I may raise it up slightly just for looks, but not for any other reason. Thanks, trainman

I’ve used HO roadbed double wide to raise the trackage of the mainline. Worked great! Used N gauge roadbed and foam in the yards and sheet cork in some areas. It all works and I also don’t notice the noise that much. Where the roadbed is to where it is not does offer a different sound factor that adds a little notification or interest. Kind of like a train gong over a bridge.

I’m sure if it was a roundy-round layout, long trains at higher speeds would create a lot of noise, and the wood roadbed would amplify that. At one point, many moons ago, I did have an indoor loop, but I kind of enjoyed the noise!

I experimented very briefly cutting pink foam on a 45 and using if for roadbed. It would have looked good, but curves needed to be cut by hand, so I abandoned that idea.

i tend to use styropor. easy to cut and a soundbreaker.