Large Scale Central

obssesed with little locos

Devon Sinsley said:

And Myrtles tender I think is great for a gas tank. It is unique for sure. But I am wondering how it holds both water and oil. must be a divided tank?

Yes. You can’t really tell from my photos, but go back to the one on top in your post. About 1/4 back from the front of the tender, there are three vertical openings in the side of the tender. That’s the air gap between the two tanks; oil in the front, water in the back. (That also tells me that Myrtle is a “kitbashed” loco as well as Anaka. Both locos are Porters, but the tender is a stock Baldwin design. Here’s a closer look of #12’s tender (the Pineapple Princess)

Coincidentally, #12 was built for the Kahului RR Co., and ran on Maui. Without knowing for certain, It’s plausible that the tender behind Myrtle could have been a spare tender.

Later,

K

I looked for a 2-2-0 locomotive, just out of curiosity. They existed, but only in British profile, no North American. I didn’t think you’d be interested.

Kevin Strong said:

. . . . .

And I close with what has to be the most unique prototype kitbash I’ve seen in a while. One of these days, I’m going to find a 1:20ish golf cart, and this will be modeled.

Wow! I have a golf cart about that size in MD. Came as a promotional item years ago.

Edit: P.S. I googled “golf cart promotional toy” and found they are actually readily available.

This one even claims to be 1:20 scale! And $7.68 with free shipping.

1:20 Toys for Children Metal Golf Cart

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-1-20-Toys-for-Children-Metal-Golf-Cart-Alloy-Models-Mini-Battery-Cart-Model/32575843379.html?spm=2114.40010408.3.11.u27SrZ

Steve Featherkile said:

I looked for a 2-2-0 locomotive, just out of curiosity. They existed, but only in British profile, no North American. I didn’t think you’d be interested.

I don’t know that I would likely build a 2-2-0 in lieu of other designs but if I were to it would be an American concept design just like I will whenI guild the Garratt someday. Protolancing Steal the design idea and make it your own. I am not above that.

The Bachmann Emily would be a good place to start a bash on a one axle drive locomotive. I know, I’m evil.

See there is where I draw my personal line. I am not fond of the giant multi-spoke drivers. I appreciate them for what they are but it doesn’t speak to me.

I was thinking though that one of the hulks of a 10 wheeler I have could make an interesting starting point for a 1:20.3 single driver set design. It would be a 42" driver with American flare. HMMMM nope to many other things going on.

I am thinking something like this

Or this could be real fun

I really like that idea. An LGB or even a cheap new bright coach and a 10 wheeler. would need a custom boiler or use the front of a ten wheeler boiler and a new fire box. one of the Lil Haulers would be a good platform or even my little Bachamnn Porter that is dying to be something other than what it is.

Squirrel. . .

Kevin: N-C-O #11 went to the Oahu Railway after the SP purchase of N-C-O. What happened to that loco? Could the Myrtle tender be from the old #11?

Scott

Devon,

Here’s a ten-wheeler chassis with just the driving axle [came from a Xmas set] and the Lehigh Valley #300 that I’d love to make. I have various coach parts lying around - just haven’t had time.

Devon Sinsley said:

I am thinking something like this

Or this could be real fun

I really like that idea. An LGB or even a cheap new bright coach and a 10 wheeler. would need a custom boiler or use the front of a ten wheeler boiler and a new fire box. one of the Lil Haulers would be a good platform or even my little Bachamnn Porter that is dying to be something other than what it is.

Squirrel. . .

Lost nuts?

I feel that you are way too conventional, I mean when we go small we get something sporty!

Give me a pair of goggles and a resolute fireman and I’m good to GO!

Of course I’ve been hanging on to this gem, but my outside chores and today’s going on a hundred weather has made me realize it’s time to share. I’ll be lucky to do what’s on my plate now!

John

I figger the short funnel is the water hatch for a vertical tank.

Pete,

Seem like your ahead of me.

John,

You are always pulling odd stuff out of thin air.

I am still waiting for my LGB Olomana.

It’s over in Strasburg…

Ken, yea, but that’s the 1:1 model. I am waiting for the LGB 1:rubber scale model.

Im waiting for the LGB open air cars, They will go great behind some of my live steamers. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

The gold cart “HI-Rail” is extremely cool. Have this same problem with all small engines. Too many to enjoy in one life time.

hmmmmm, and I do have a golf cart… hmmmmmmmmm

Pete Thornton said:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-1-20-Toys-for-Children-Metal-Golf-Cart-Alloy-Models-Mini-Battery-Cart-Model/32575843379.html?spm=2114.40010408.3.11.u27SrZ

Damn you, Thornton! Another #$@&! project. (Yes, I ordered one.)

Later,

K

This I have to see when he’s done!

Kevin Strong said:

Pete Thornton said:

Later,

K

Sorry! [Not]

I have an old one in MD which may work - its plastic so may be easier to chop. What motor will go in it - Peter Spoerer’s axle drive, maybe.