Large Scale Central

Opinions on RC

Howdy folks
Many of you know I run battery/RC (now dont start that here!). I’m using a combination of RCSs throttles/transmitters, and RCS EVO throttles with various transmitters.

Since winter time is approaching, and ops give way to maintenance/building, Im curious about what you guys out there use, and if anyone has used the new Airwire stuff outside with on-board batteries. Has anyone used DCC outside with RC/batteries as well? It seems to me that DCC is starting to make inroads into our beloved large scale, and having a standard plug-and-play system would be ideal.

-=Bob

Well, you know what I use.
Most know why.
Since I don’t advertise here (yet), I won’t tell you, but you can ask questions and I’ll answer them.

TOC

I have three RCS systems with two of them controlling a Bachmann Shay & Climax. The other set is awaiting installation in either a live steam engine or the Bachmann Heisler. I have a radio control airplane type of transmitter for my other live steam engines. I used to have LocoLink but peddled it as I found these two types of controls was the best for me.

I love my RCS units, no complaints at all, Im just curious as to what everyone else uses.

-=Bob

I have 3 RCS units, 1 Locolinc and 4 Aristo TE’s in battery operated engines. The Locolinc was the first, probably wouldn’t have another. The RCS units are with sound and all installed by Dave Goodson and the Aristo TE’s I installed myself in rail busses using Goodson’s batteries. A couple of guys in our club have the air wires, I haven’t been overly impressed, but not much experience with them either.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric Golding
Kaskaskia Valley Railway
Carlyle, Illinois

Hey, Ric, left a message on your phone this morning.
Bruce is here, been over on chat for a while with HJ of all people.
TOC

After looking at the names on this site, I’m not too sure I should be associating with such nether types. But what the heck nothing ventured nothing gained.

Hi Guys!!

Barry - BBT

Geez, look what the dog dragged in.
We wuz just talking about you on the chat earlier…

When I finally decided to make the switch from TP to RC I checked out most of the systems available. Wasn’t overly Impressed with the TE despite it’s low cost and Locolink seemed a bit like overkill. I wanted something simple. Checked out the RCS when I was invited to TOC’s operating session during the Seattle convention and liked it’s compactmess and ease of operation. I’ve since converted about 5 loco’s and haven’t been dissapointed. Another plus is that one of the RCS dealers now lives about 2 hours away…so that makes things handy…:wink:

honestly Barry…i have to say that most of the rumors are TRUE!!! (Hopefully not Fr Freds Nude Sundance though…, his neighbors aren;t blind…)

Hi Dave,
Sorry I missed the chat. Big train show in St. Louis this weeekend (actually Collinsville, Illinois, but you can see the arch from the parking lot). Just barely catching up on stuff and charging batteries for another day tomorrow.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric Golding
Kaskaskia Valley Railway
Carlyle, Illinois

Geez, look what the dog dragged in.
We wuz just talking about you on the chat earlier…

I resemble a lot of things people say about me…as Bart would put it…

There is a full moon coming up on the 15th of December…if it’s cool enough and it isn’t cloudy; there will be a “Bay of Fundy Farting Clam” celebration, and a Sun Dance at midnight…Along with the LSC Chat Reunion all that day…it should make for some interesting times in the old ChatRoom…

Fr.Fred

I know I’m getting in on this kinda late…but heregoes anyway…

The Slate Creek Railway just took delivery of its very first Battery/RC equipped locomotive. The system was one I’d bought years ago for something else entirely, a project that turned out to be, well, disasterous (though that had nothing to do with the system itself, which was not in the Sperry Track Cleaning Car when it crashed through the open bridge to the floor with predictable results… the unharmed RCS system was subsequently relegated to the “someday projects bin”)

The opportunity presented itself to obtain a second Bachmann 45 Tonner, modify it heavily, and add the long dormant radio control system …

So the engine made the trip (back) to Washington, for a whole new outlook on life. Shortly thereafter, US Army Transportation Corps #7145 was permanently transferred to the Slate Creek Railway for service. (The “real” #7145 was a very similar looking standard gauge 80 tonner that ended its service life in Essex, CT. where its remains still are.)

What I have now is an independently powered, sound equipped locomotive that runs, and runs, and runs, and runs. In fact, I haven’t had to charge it since I took delivery… and while it’s only running in work train service, as I put down track on the railroad, it’s had a lot of “on” time in initial testing, switching, and on the work train too. It handles a lot like the real thing in what you ask it to do… and the learning curve for operating the system was a really easy one.

Oh, and if it’s not obvious to newer folks, the locomotive is equipped with a system by RCS and installed by our own TOC…

I’d post pictures… but in light of recent events, I cannot use my available webspace without being forced to surrender all rights to anything I store there (or at least would have to fight not to.) so until I work out a “freight shed” here, I’m kind of out of luck, unless TOC wants to put his copies up.

Matthew (OV)

I’d post pictures… but in light of recent events, I cannot use my available webspace without being forced to surrender all rights to anything I store there (or at least would have to fight not to.) so until I work out a “freight shed” here, I’m kind of out of luck, unless TOC wants to put his copies up.

Matthew (OV)

I’ll work on it. I have the photos, all I have to do is download them to the Shed.
Later today…

TOC

See, there you have it. USA #7145 in service on the CCRY … Note that with the extra deck plates etc. that the locomotive becomes more of a 50 or 55 tonner in appearance… The cut levers have been replaced with handmade ones, with the three piece design found on many of the prototypes. Grabirons and brake hoses have been added to the ends, as well as AMS couplers. When Sierra finally releases the 45 Tonner sound chip with my 1:1 Hancock Air Whistle recorded on it, I have a pair of Hancock whistles to add to the roof. The builder’s plate is a reproduction of the one on Valley Railroad #0900 (ex Berkshire Scenic, and others) which is a 90 tonner, and is readable up close. The prototype (which again is an 80 tonner, standard gauge loco now modelled as a 3 foot gauge 50 tonner…) can be seen at:

Matthew (OV)

Nice locomotive there Matt! gotta love them lil critters! What can ya tell us about the trestle its sitting on?

Nice locomotive there Matt! gotta love them lil critters! What can ya tell us about the trestle its sitting on?

it’s wood?

Ummm…I can tell you it was built by TOC and his brother(s) and has a really high volume of traffic every other Friday night, and that I’d like to visit it someday… but that’s about it.

TOC, whose railroad that is, can probably fill in the real information! :wink:

Ummm…I can tell you it was built by TOC and his brother(s) and has a really high volume of traffic every other Friday night, and that I’d like to visit it someday… but that’s about it.

TOC, whose railroad that is, can probably fill in the real information! :wink:

Old cedar fence boards.
At least 4’ high, 5’ at the bridge section.
27 feet long.
6’8" radius curves.
On concrete.
Glue and brads air-nailed in over 10 years ago…

Connects Whiterock to Laurel…
Spans Steven’s Canyon…