Large Scale Central

Transporting locos around the site

Derailed,

This is just the first iteration, from carrying this between lab and train room I have concluded I want 2 handles, about 12 - 18" in from either end.

Rooster,

Rats, you have discovered my evil intents!

I’ve finished the carriers, for now at least. I have a bad back and have difficulty carrying heavy items to one side. So I made a design with 2 handles, allowing me to carry it in front where it isn’t as hard on my back.

I played around a bit and came to a value of 28" being the best compromise for comfortable arm position and control of the load.

I loaded the loco/tender & control/battery cars onto their carrier and placed a large dowel underneath the center point. I rolled it back and forth till I found the center of balance, ie. the point where weight was evenly distributed left and right.

I then attached the handles 14" to the left and right of that point. They will live down in the sun room, so its only about a 20’ walk thru a wide patio door to the Cheyenne Depot area, perfect for loading/unloading locos:

Last step is to attach a set of 1/2" nylon straps/buckles to secure everything.

In the meantime, keep an eye on the Technical Modeling Forum for my new project!

Bruce Chandler said:

Very cool. The best part of this hobby is that you only have to answer to your self.

How did I miss this and is it that easy ?