Large Scale Central

Bachmann At TrainLand Today 3/18/2017

Ken, try to ignore all those negative comments. What you do for this hobby is wonderful and other dealers/venders could take a lesson or two from you. Thanks a bunch.

Ken Bianco said:

Ugh, don’t know where to start on this. Im a bit surprised by the reaction of some on this forum. Sorry for those offended by my post. I figured many G scalers might want to see some new product from Bachmann and even ask questions to the Vice President Of Sales and Marketing at Bachmann Trains. You do not need to join facebook to watch the live stream. Anyone can watch it. I figured this was a huge value for non New Yorkers who can’t be at the event to see the VP of Bachmann and talk about their new products. I don’t see many hobby shops out there bringing in top executives and offering the community a chance for a q&a.

I dont understand why someone would be mad at me, give me two thumbs down or brag that Im not getting their business because I offered this through facebook. Even to call me lazy or view me as cheap… I host tons of in store events, spend 6 figures on marketing through traditional magazines, forums including this one!, ad space, newspapers, and yes social media. I don’t just have a facebook page, I have a youtube page, I have a real site where you can watch the videos and more. Yes facebook offers an easy way to offer live free events and I will take full advantage of it. I don’t see many hobby shops out there offering the same thing. I do my best to promote the hobby but when I see negative comments for offering a free opportunity to see a manufacturer it really drives me crazy. I post a lot of these same opportunities on an o scale forum and a lot of them post questions for me to ask the manufacturer on their forum. I am always happy to get their questions in and respond to them instantly. It always works out great and never had any negative feedback.

Thank you for the guys who stood up for me, I really appreciate it. If it wasn’t for you I probably wouldn’t waste my time explaining myself and not come back. Who wants to pay to help sponsor a forum and then be berated for trying to do something good? Anyways, we had over 3.1 thousand views in 2 days and Rich The VP At Bachmann answered over 100 questions including many G scale questions.

Best,

Ken Bianco Jr.
TrainWorld

Quoting this entire reply so it doesnt get missed from being on the previous page.

Maybe give this a good read , a couple of times if needed to understand it in full.

Ken Bianco said:

Bachmann VP Of Sales And Marketing Rich Janyszeck is At TrainLand Today 3/18/2017

He brought the new egg liners! We will be doing a facebook live event at 11:00 that you can see on our facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/TrainWorldLLC

Ken,

I’m quoting your original post to explain why there were such negative reactions. Some people really, really react negatively to Facebook. It’s not you! Some of the FB issues are not well understood by the old f***s on this forum. The worst (imho) is that clicking any FB "like’ button on anywebsite gives the vendor your personal info from Facebook, including your email. Which is why they (vendors) all try to get you to ‘like’ them, and why I never do. It’s irritating at the time and results in spam.

Your mistake was omitting to point out the post was public and you didn’t have to be a Facebook member to see it. (Though I see one reply that indicates it was originally ‘members only’ ? If you are already a member, it would appear without needing a sign-in as FB keeps cookies on your computer to make this stuff easy.) Facebook’s issue is they don’t disclose all this invasion of privacy stuff. So some folk don’t like them.

Had you put the video on your Trainworld website (or on this) and put a link on Facebook, plus been a little more sensitive to the problems that come along with Facebook and turn some people off, then we’d have embraced you with open arms (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Ken,

I’m sad that my aversion to FB was taken as a negative towards you.

I was hoping that the vids (of the streaming experience) could be embedded here as well as your FB extravaganza (oops being facetious, by habit). It’s my choice to forfeit asking questions, but still, my choice.

So I turned out to be my old man! yikes!!! You might too, one day and I wonder what affliction of the youth will be your bookface encounter? Instead of the scolding, can’t there be an acceptance that the old farts brigade, set in their our ways as they we are, are worth some effort? Embed the vids here, where we can see and those with money to burn will appreciate being included and respond in kind. Win-win?

I wish you success,

John

So all that has effectively been done here is making sure he doesn’t come back and post information on future events.

I hate the say it but social media is 100 times more powerfull then forums. I see nothing wrong with. Its called moving on with the times. It amazes me how some of you people reacted to Ken. This is the same reason why people are using FB for their train fixes and not forums. The attitude that some people have. By posting to FB he will reach out too so many more people as well as non train people. Im huge fan of FB and it is completely safe when used properly. I have to agree with Vincent.

Bob “IA3R#7” Cope said:

Craig, LSC has never been hacked that I am aware of, and BD does not have any of my personal information such as required by Facebook. I have lost count of the number of times Facebook has ADMITTED to being hacked, and the number of personal information stoled is untold.

I stopped using Paypal for the same reason. They are too insecure and want way too much personal information. Your risk your life your way, I will protect mine my way.

and that’s why you set up a fake account.

Bob “IA3R#7” Cope said:

Vincent, let me answer your statement this way. I just picked up about 2K worth of second hand train stuff from a local individual. That represents 2K worth of business Trainworld, and any other who only uses Facebook, will never see. All future purchases included. There are a large majority of the modelers that have disposable income to spend that are not social media folks. I view it as Trainworld’s loss, not mine. I will vote with my dollars going somewhere the vendor is willing to make his advertising available to me, the buyer.

I bet there are a lot more people with disposable income on social media then forums. You obviously have not been on FB enough to see the many train groups and personal train pages. The amount of people that share these types of posts through their personal pages etc… Ill post a short video to FB and within a day ill get over 2K views. Look at the photo section here. How many views do you see after being up for months.

Ken, please continue to post here on LSC. Just ignore the Grumpy Gus’s. As I said in my previous post, I have had nothing but good experiences dealing with you and your staff, and I will continue to do business with you and your staff. I wish you continued success, and hope to see more posts from you, here on LSC, in the future.

Ken, I own a business where I know how exasperating customers and potential customers can be, however I second the motion to encourage you to continue sponsoring and posting here.

Ken,
Keep posting. If they don’t want to read it, they don’t have too.

Interesting thread. No need to even read past just the first view responses.

1. He never said that Facebook is the only basket in which they are placing their Eggliners. He just announced that they were doing it there. Lots of people use Facebook, great place to get your product noticed. If you not on Facebook that is not the companies problem. They have to reach as many as they can and Facebook reaches many and that is what marketing people do reach as many as they can in the least expensive manor they can. He came here to tell us to look there in case we missed it there.

2. Specifically in response to Greg. Yes we do have a special separate forum for advertising on this site. Its titles “Vendors and Manufacturers/Ads and Announcements” Unless I missed something that is exactly where we are.

3. Wouldn’t blame this guy for never coming here again and then we all miss out and will have no idea what is going on.

4. I thought this was a wholly appropriate post in a wholly appropriate location. Hope we didn’t run him off.

John Passaro said:

Craig Townsend said:
…I’m sorry to say that’s where [facebook] the next generation of modelers are sharing information at.

I know I’m old-fashioned (and old)----I like baseball, chess, trains, books, grammar, and cribbage----but I’m beginning to wonder about this new-fangled facebook thing. The thing is, I like my website, and I put a lot of effort into it, and I think it’s really nice looking, really well done actually. But one of our brethren here, and I feel like an idiot for not remembering who, maybe Todd out on the Cape? (the brain! the brain!) was saying he got thousands more look-sees on his facebook page than he ever gets on his website.

So I don’t know. Part of me wants to get into facebook, but I can’t imagine the monumental task of getting information on it from my website. Plus, it’s about all I can do to keep up with what’s going on here in our own little community without adding something else to keep track of.

Color me on the fence.

Keep the hobby off Facebook and you will be looking at the last generation of RR hobbyists, period. The younger set, and a great deal of the older set, use it as their resource. We don’t have hobby shops anymore in most places and they don’t read magazines digital or real. They go to Facebook or Youtube.

Devon Sinsley said:

Keep the hobby off Facebook and you will be looking at the last generation of RR hobbyists, period. The younger set, and a great deal of the older set, use it as their resource. We don’t have hobby shops anymore in most places and they don’t read magazines digital or real. They go to Facebook or Youtube.

I suspect you’re right. And there’s probably something after Facebook as yet to be developed…

When I first started, back in the last century, I subscribed to all the magazines I could. As time went on, technology replaced the subscriptions: Yahoo groups, e-mail lists, whatever. I suspect that many of the old-timers groused about that, but nobody could tell because they didn’t interact with anyone unless they wrote a letter to the editor AND the letter was published. By then, it would be 3 months later, if it made it at all…and who would remember?

Today I don’t subscribe to any magazines; I tried to get them electronically for awhile, but they were just as expensive as the physical copy. Not only that, I found myself going through them in about 20 minutes. Much easier to go to a forum like this one, or a group on Facebook. I still belong to some e-mail lists and Yahoo groups, but mostly because it’s easier to delete them from my inbox rather than spend time trying to figure out how to quit.

With today’s technology, I can interact with LOTS of people very quickly. I don’t have my thoughts or pictures filtered out by some editor somewhere - I can show off my work and get almost instant feedback; feedback was almost non-existent for my articles that I had published and even then it was filtered. When someone asked a question back then, it might be a year since I actually wrote the article and I would have no recollection of the technique I used at the time.

I use YouTube a LOT, but have never put anything there; but what a neat way to show folks exactly how to do something!

I think it’s VERY COOL than anybody can put any thing they’ve done out there for everyone else to view.

Devon Sinsley said:

John Passaro said:

Craig Townsend said:
…I’m sorry to say that’s where [facebook] the next generation of modelers are sharing information at.

I know I’m old-fashioned (and old)----I like baseball, chess, trains, books, grammar, and cribbage----but I’m beginning to wonder about this new-fangled facebook thing. The thing is, I like my website, and I put a lot of effort into it, and I think it’s really nice looking, really well done actually. But one of our brethren here, and I feel like an idiot for not remembering who, maybe Todd out on the Cape? (the brain! the brain!) was saying he got thousands more look-sees on his facebook page than he ever gets on his website.

So I don’t know. Part of me wants to get into facebook, but I can’t imagine the monumental task of getting information on it from my website. Plus, it’s about all I can do to keep up with what’s going on here in our own little community without adding something else to keep track of.

Color me on the fence.

Bob gave Advertisers space here, why can’t those videos be posted here as well as over there? That’s my question.

Maybe a link there, would bring them here… (the younger set)

Get off Greg’s back, the thread was moved after he said something… that’s the problem with skimming a thread.

A. See it on facebook. B. We don’t do facebook. C. Tough Sh**, D. you can’t make me… blah blah blah

Seems foolish to Not offer a second way… for older customers with money.

Expressing opinions and comfort levels is part of the forum, to be chided for doing so sucks.

I feel that Ken is here to make money.

Nobody is going to run him off, fer Christ’s Sake, he’s a New Yawker! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif)

I come here to escape reality and find solace. None of the Pro fb posts have moved me one iota closer to visiting there…

In the olden days we could compromise…

I’m happy for all y’all at FB, I have no desire to control it’s content.

The question for me was, can we have the vids of the streaming, posted here? If not the Mr. Ken won’t be getting my eyes.

That’s all folks, no conspiracy, no shade, no ill will, just hey can you share them here?

Hey I hope everyone has a great day and life…

John

Devon: READ THE F’N FORUM AND THREAD FROM THE BEGINNING Greg

My post (4th post in this topic) was about not putting advertising links in the GENERAL forum

After it was moved, and people gave me grief, I explained below, post #12.

And in MOST forums, this kind of situation is avoided by the moderator putting in a post “moved from general forum”… but it was not done this time.

So now we have this smelly mess, and I’m getting crap, and everyone is polarizing about FB and whatever.

And we are doing it in the Vendors Forum…

something about throwing the first stone… especially if you want to take someone to task.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Guys, this was ORIGINALLY posted in the GENERAL forum… it has been moved QUIETLY to the proper forum.

If you had read yesterday that is where you would have found the posts, two of them, to go to a facebook advertising page.

I read every post every day. Craig and John, you did not and unfortunately there is no evidence that the post has been moved (not good).

In any case, I am not senile, and had made a request to move the posts because it would establish a precedent that ANYONE could use the general forum for advertising.

So Bob C. and I were and are in our right minds. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I believe in the site and forum structure here, Bob has fine tuned it to work well and fairly, and we can choose what to read by category.

Greg

…and…it looks like we’re headed for lock-down mode.

John Passaro said:

…and…it looks like we’re headed for lock-down mode.

Seriously?

Show the old folks a tad of respect;

‘Great news; showing at FB AND for those of you that don’t FB. I’ll post vids of the streaming here.’

That would have been nice and simple. eh?

Let’s keep this site active and post here.

John

I apologise to Greg. I should have read all the way through and my comment was unwarranted and wrong.

Geesh, all this for an advertisement about one of our favorite subjects, trains.