Large Scale Central

Drone flight over the In-ko-pah Railroad

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Ray,

After I have been complaining about the amount of rock I am using to build my railroad and having to move and place it all, I then go and watch this video. Dang that is a ton of rock. I have always loved your pictures of your layout but that drone footage just really shows how impressive it really is. Its an inspiration.

Ray–

It is very cool to see your railway from that perspective! It is really amazing how well you have sculpted a realistic western mountain landscape! Wonderful!

ton of rock, Devon? You under estimateby quite a bit, that is certainly many tons of rock!

Very cool Ray. Nice to see your layout from a different perspective. It really shows the amount of rock and work you put into the layout so far.

And the Award for best Railroad documentary goes to…Ray Dunakin!

Ray…at :30 seconds I see some greenery of some kind in the rocks on the upper left. What is it?

Miniature cactus, many types (most are models), this one is Ocotillo

Wow!

Jet-lag from China has me searching when I should be sleeping…Well worth it!

Stunning layout.

Cynnthia Verbrugge said:

Wow!

Jet-lag from China has me searching when I should be sleeping…Well worth it!

Stunning layout.

Odd that, as I never ever heard anyone complain of prop lag when it took 16 hours from NYC/London in a Super Connie or a DC7c prop plane in the 1950/60’s!!..looked a bit dishevelled tho!!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

A couple of questions Ray. Where is the Dos Manos Station, is it being tented for termites? What plants are real? Did Megaweapon, or its predecessors haul all theose rocks from all your journeys?

Great video from the drone, we need more people to do that, so we can get an overview of their layouts, start high then bring it in close to view it.

Pete, the Dos Manos depot was under its protective cover when I shot that quickie video. Nearly all the plants on the layout are artificial. The rocks were hauled in my previous SUV, an Isuzu Trooper.

Today I finally got around to shooting some drone video of the layout with the train running – or rather, I tried to do that. Unfortunately I discovered that the drone’s R/C apparently interferes with the train’s R/C. Whenever the drone was running, I couldn’t control the train at all. First tried starting the train after launching the drone, and the train only ran backwards and couldn’t be stopped. Then I tried starting up the train prior to launching the drone, but couldn’t control the speed and when the train derailed on a switch, I couldn’t even use the emergency stop to shut it down, until after I landed and shut off the drone.

Both operate in the 2.4 ghz band.

Don’t you just hate when that happens? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

Strange, the 2.4 GHz stuff is supposed to hop channels to avoid this situation. Is there an option to change channels on your drone?

Which R/C system are you using on the loco?

Gotta be a way.

Greg

You never cease to amaze me, Ray. Terrific video. Ditto, the In-Ko-Pah.

Greg Elmassian said:

Strange, the 2.4 GHz stuff is supposed to hop channels to avoid this situation. Is there an option to change channels on your drone?

Which R/C system are you using on the loco?

Gotta be a way.

Greg

Yeah that’s what I thought too. I’m using the Crest Revolution for the loco. I don’t know about changing channels on the drone, I haven’t seen that option anywhere in the app, but I’ll look into it.

Finally got a chance to watch the entire video. I’ve been following your railroad from it’s very beginnings. This is by far the best overall view we have ever had. I hope you work out the R/C bugs so you can get some operating video.

Awesome work!! Both drone video and of course your amazing railroad…

Thanks for sharing!

Richard

Ray, did you try re-binding each controller to it’s individual ESC…i.e. drone controller to drone, engine controller to engine? All of my RC’s are 2.4’s, but if I accidently turn on a vehicle ESC before I turn on the right tx, I’ll end up having to re-bind to the right controller.

Mike if you re-read Ray’s post, you will see that the train operated after the drone was landed and turned off.

Also, if you are not familiar with the Revolution, it indicates if you are connected.

It seems to me that the Revolution should have changed channels, and I will look into that from my relationship with the manufacturer.

On the drone side, I do not know if your system is always locked to a particular frequency or not, if you can find that out, I’m sure we can track down a solution… (track down, get it? ha ha)

Regards, Greg

I’ve contacted Precision RC and will report back what I find.

I believe at least the Revolution can be “moved” to avoid interference.

Greg