Large Scale Central

Purpose of this forum

I’ve been doing a little research on Loco 112 and see that he is involved with The Home Machinist forum. NOW I think I know who he is. No more to be said.

Gary Armitstead said:

I’ve been doing a little rearch on Loco 112 and see that he is involved with The Home Machinist forum. NOW I think I know who he is. No more to be said.

Oh yes there is, Gary. C’mon. Spill the beans, and make it juicy!

If you really want an interesting read, try his registration process for this forum:

http://www.narrowgaugeexchange.org/

Talk about a ‘control freak’. Or is he covering his A$$ on other levels? Hmmmm…

I know ten year old children with superior writing skills.
He should have spent some of that blueprint money on his education  ;)
Ralph

Steve Featherkile said:

Gary Armitstead said:

I’ve been doing a little research on Loco 112 and see that he is involved with The Home Machinist forum. NOW I think I know who he is. No more to be said.

Oh yes there is, Gary. C’mon. Spill the beans, and make it juicy!

Steve,

I have many old friends on the Home Machinist site with my association with the ride-on live steam crowd. When this guy is posting on the HMS, he comes across with some “answers” that I knpw are absolutely bogus! “Truly a legend in his own mind.”

Gary Armitstead said:

“Truly a legend in his own mind.”

I was one of those at one time…then I got Married…I’ve been re-defined since :slight_smile:

I went up to his site, and read the list of people he invited to join, My name isn’t on his list, OH DARN… But I personally know several of the people on the invited list. I’ll ask about him, and his site.

He may actually have some valuable info on stuff. But I bet his price is way out there…

I get the feeling that getting and controlling the “Blueprints” is more important to him, then actually building or doing anything with them. I think he is a collector, and not really a doer. I’ll bet that there is a lot of " I’ll trade you a copy of one of my rare valuable blue prints, for your original" from him. It’s the “hunt” that drives, and the “look at ME, and what I have” factor. Plus a large dash of “I have more then you” arrogance.

Ron Tremblay said:

I’m more of a paper towel guy…:wink:

I wasn’t certain if the folded paper towel would qualify as a “napkin” for future engineering notes and doodles on trains or trackwork, since that is what most frequently comes to hand as an ersatz napkin.
So unless someone raises the complaint, that a folded paper towel does not constitute an ersatz napkin for engineering purposes, I will be content to continue my current useage.
Thanks.
Dave

Bob Cope said:

If you really want an interesting read, try his registration process for this forum:

Wow.

Nothing wrong with striving for accuracy but… wow.

Funny too… for someone who is so insistent on fidelity to the prototype, he sure is tight-fisted when it comes to prototype information. NOT the way to encourage people to be accurate modelers.

Bob Cope said:

Talk about a ‘control freak’. Or is he covering his A$$ on other levels? Hmmmm…

Holy crap Batman, has that person got problems or what ? (can’t bring myself to call him a man!), I think he set up that forum so he has an avenue to talk to himself, his circle of friends would be small.
I think his line "This is far enough for a first read. We sure have a lot of explainations posted for a site that just requires us to collect old blueprints! says it all.
We also have people like that here in Australia, well at least one of them, I’m not adverse to getting genuine plans if the need arises (I have quite a collection, I must have stolen them), but I took much pleasure in doing a ‘napkin drawing’ of a unique narrow gauge brake van at the Pichi Richi Railway (that’s a caboose to you guys) then building a 24th scale model from my drawings. A fellow modeller was excited when he saw my model and asked about ‘drawings’ so he could build one, he was horrified when I offered a bundle of good sketches on paper, his comment was “I can’t build a model from them” go figure, he never built a model and I often wonder whether he was a plan collector, now I know they do exist.

Wayne

Hmmmm, I had been wondering where the “Napkin Builder” moniker came from. Well that’s what I get for not reading every section of the forum. Me bad, very bad.

On that character, here I thought I was picky and selective on who could join the RhB / Swiss Trains Forum. After reading all that “merde” I feel positively saintly.

PS On the topic: we have a section on our forum that is called

" Drawings & Plans

"Goodies" that are essential to building better models."

All that good stuff from the Grisons and Switzerland.

I just read this thread. I actually came here for valuable reference materials but you “goofs” taught me the most valuable thing to know.

I AM NOT. . . I REPEAT. . . I AM NOT A RIVET COUNTER.

Thought I was, because I try to stay as true to form as I can by what I see on my napkin. After reading this and looking at his site (what I could) I renounce any idea that I am anything but a napkin builder.

Second lesson: Don’t piss in you’alls cheerios.

Devon, I like my models to look good (to my eye), and to look right to me. but I am surely not going to sit and make sure I have the correct number of fasteners on any piece of equipment I build or bash. I also build wooden narrow gauge cars, so there aint no flippen rivets to count. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree. My models are for me. I like to share but at the end of the day I have to be happy with it. I also believe that we each take from this hobby different things. A purest s only a purest in their pursuit. To someone else it is a wasted effort. If we can share our dreams of what we want for are railroad with each other it will become a lonely hobby fast.

We’ve been calling them “Operations Quality” for some time now. “Does it look like a boxcar from 10 feet? Works for me!”

Bob McCown said:

We’ve been calling them “Operations Quality” for some time now. “Does it look like a boxcar from 10 feet? Works for me!”

I like that terminology

Operations quality. Ok, I can relate. Round these parts we call them running models. Same difference.

Me, I give everything away that needs sharing, that’s why it’s called ‘sharing’, and not ‘selling’.

I lucked into a hundred or so postcard-sized photogrpahs of the early Canadian railroad locomotives from the TBD. Did I sell 'em? Nossir, I sent them to the guys in Ottawa who collect this kind of stuff for the benefit of all of us.

None of us are here for very long, right? So it’s better to be remembered as one of those guys who made you chuckle or even laff, rather than ‘by jeez, we’re well rid of HIM!’.

‘Bhí sé ina fhear de dhálaí foircneacha. Bhí sé go leor cairde, ach gan aon naimhde.’

Great epitaph.

tac
OVGRS.org

Your guys are all what the rivet counters that buy and use blueprint sets call “napkin builders”. Meaning they will use sketches and napkin drawings to build to.

I’m impatient and frustrated with the same guys that build to notes on napkins, so it was inevitable here.

Holy Christmascookies! I knew that guys like this still exist in the hobby, but its sad to see that some still can’t just let others live and let live.

PS My stuff would probably give this guy an aneurysm LOL, I dont even bother with the napkin most of the time and just start cutting and let my imagination run wild, I’d put this poor guy into a straight-jacket.

Happy and proud napkin (sometimes) builder :smiley:

Vic Smith said:

PS My stuff would probably give this guy an aneurysm LOL, I dont even bother with the napkin most of the time and just start cutting and let my imagination run wild, I’d put this poor guy into a straight-jacket.

D

I was thinking the same thing, Vic. Show him some builds from you and Mik.

Ive lost count how many photocopies Ive sent out to people, and how many people have sent to me. Or people that have taken the time to actually go MEASURE something, or that Ive done similar.