Large Scale Central

Question about liverys on new steam models

If a new steam locomotive that had not been produced before was offered as undecorated only, perhaps with decals to cover the range of application for that particular model, would that put you off or would you be encouraged that you could decorate as you wish?

It may be the way to justify the model. like wise would you be willing to preorder.

Opinions please.

AL P.

Al, any new steam, would depend a lot on which engine it was.

A common generic turn of the century 2-8-0 could have wide exceptiance. But a K-36 would only appeal to the Colorado NG crowd.

Price would be a big point…

For me… A 3D printed C-18 shell ( some assembly required ) that fit a Bachman 2-8-0 frame (not the C-19) would get my $$.

I’m not so sure about the decal set as being a big selling point, as so many would want them made for their RR.

Dave.

I think undecorated should be a default, especially for a generic, widely produced locomotive. That let’s the owner use his or her preferred method to letter it up.

As for model, I would love a 3’ gage plantation loco!

Al, I’ve often thought a basic USRA loco with a variety of addons i.e. feedwater heater, coffin heater, smoke box fronts, pilot/front mount brake cylinder , even multi headlight brackets, etc. The addons could be printed per order but would make a more versatile unit.
I’m getting too old to add to my collection but if younger yes I would buy.
And as an after thought how about an upgraded 4-6-0 to fit the Bachmann chassis with a totally modern look?

I’m all for a plain, undecorated model with decals supplied. But I’ve been decorating/painting/decaling trains for years, so I’ve had lots of practice.

I agree with Pete, that plain undercoated is just fine.

I’m pretty sure what you are proposing Al, is a high end Fn3 model. While I’d love to see more Fn3 product on the market, personally I’m not buying more. I have more than I can run and no storage track left!

Now, if you were to come up with a kit to convert an existing C-19 to a C-18, I’d be interested!

Just another thought…the world seems to be awash in derelict B’mann 4-6-0 with busted gears and long-gone pilot trucks. What about a reliable drive train and a set of detail parts to fit to a boiler and cab?

Eric

Ah, nostalgia for Barry’s Big Trains.

At this point, the replacement chassis, while $160, is cheaper than a ‘reliable drive train’ like the BBT version.