Large Scale Central

USA Trains Flared Radiator Addition From HSTRAINS

I guess I’ll start out by saying this;

When I purchased my first SD70 from USA trains some years back, I really didn’t like the fact that it didn’t look totally prototypical, at least to my eyes. Now I’m not an expert on the SD70 but when I had the opportunity at one time to board a Montana Rail Link unit in Helena, Montana for viewing, I did notice the massive flared radiator system. After seeing this and later purchasing my first SD70, the first thing I noticed was that this radiator system was missing on that model, as well as the 2nd model that we obtained. I started trying to design my own but ran into several problems trying to accomplish this, so I put the project off a few times and I guess it turned out to be a good decision because these other options became available.

With the search bar above, I looked on this site to see if anyone had ever posted any information about this issue or if anybody had developed this product. I noticed one post where you could download information for printing but I really didn’t notice anyone who made the actual product. It is possible I could have missed it somewhere, as I have done before but since I didn’t run into it anywhere, I decided to go ahead and post this information anyway.

One night I happened to be searching the internet for USA Trains, SD70 locomotive information and related parts and ran across a You Tube video from Jonathan Huse at HSTRAINS.

In the video he shows the 3D printed flared radiator system that he makes for the USA Trains SD70, along with a more correct cab, (depending on the unit you have) horns and some parts for Aristocraft Dash 9’s and other locomotives made by both companies.

I puchased two of the flared radiators to install on my UP/CNW and UP/MP heritage units. Although paint match was a little bit of a struggle for me, I think they came out beautiful and made the locomotives look more prototypical.

One of the questions/comments that I receive continually from the public at our train events is the inquiry about the missing flared radiators system on these units. I was absolutely thrilled when Jonathan not only sent me the radiators that I was requesting but also a set of horns, as you can see in the photos of the UP/MP. I know the horns are probably not mounted in the correct spot presently but that can be changed in the future as time allows. He also sent us an air hose which was an additional part that he developed on his printer.

I wasn’t sure if anyone had ever brought this information out to the Large Scale Central Forum community or not and I’m still not sure but I thought I would bring it up again anyhow or for the first time, whichever it was.

Jonathan has a video on YouTube that you can view here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R97oHiN54wA

Below is a link to his site where you can order different parts for the USA SD70, Aristocraft Dash 9 and other models.

He has the 4 Fan SD70AH-T4 version in addition to the three fan version as well.

If you are interested in contacting him directly, please PM me to get his email contact.

Website;

https://hstrains.myshopify.com/products/sd70-ace-conversion-kit

CLICK ON THE HSTRAINS LOGO AT THE TOP OF THE WEB PAGE TO VIEW HIS OTHER PRODUCTS.

I just wanted to share this information with everyone who may be looking for these parts for their locomotives.

I have to say, that it really enhances has the look of the SD70.

I don’t know what everybody else’s opinion of it is but we have gotten a lot of positive comments and compliments from the public already.

Here are some additional photos at different angles and hopefully there won’t be any repeats this time as we have had in the past.

Ken

Imagination Station Kids On Track Model Railroad And Train Safety Program

E. Helena, Montana

All photos shown here are the property of their perspective owners and are not to be redistributed without their permission.

Thank you for the awesome article Ken. I’m happy to see my products go to good use.

Isn’t the USA Trains SD 70 a fairly accurate model of 70-MAC,? the flared radiators make it kind of represent a SD 70Ace? I guess most people have issues with the locomotive being the exact model as the paint job on the heritage units.either way Jonathan Huse does some great work to make the radiators and also cab parts. Either way having one with and one without the radiators would give some visual interest between 2 locos from the same road. Wish I had the room for 3 or 4 of them on my layout, I want a MoPac and a WP and CNWat least!

Glad you like it Jonathan. I didn’t know if it had ever been posted but here we are? I have had a lot of folks ask about it.

Pete,

I had no idea there was a difference. I just assumed that all SD70’s had the radiators, so I learned something new there.

The one that I was on had them and I thought USA didn’t add the radiators because of cost. Good to know that they did it right. They have most always been accurate anyway that I know of, so I don’t want to be judgmental or unfair. Live and learn!

Like I say, I don’t have a ton of knowledge on the SD70 but I’m learning, I hope!

I know you and Jonathan have done a lot of research and have an abundance of knowledge and information about them and thanks for posting that here.

Jonathan, if you want to post more photos, feel free and that goes for anyone else too.

Thanks for both replies!

Ken

Pete,

Yes. The USAT model is correct for a SD70. The flared grills are the Ace version. And the reason is that they needed more room inside for equipment. There’s a lot more than just flared radiators between a SD70, SD70MAC ( AC version) and a SD70 ACe…

I’ll have to do some research on that.

Thanks for the info. Craig!

Ken

I designed flared radiators to make the USAT SD70MAC look more like the SD70M.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3731614

I also drew up the one for the SD70ace for Raymond Buteux’s winning entry in the Micro-Mark 2020 Modeler of the Year contest.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3731603

As Craig mentioned, there are many other changes that would need to be made to accurately represent the prototype.

I made one for a few different engines. The problem I had with the SD70 Mac is that all the heritage engines that UP did were ACE models not a Mac so I wanted to change that without having to cut into the shell of my model train.

Dan, Your radiators are the ones I previously saw. Nicely done!

For those interested, here are some photos and information about MTH’s SD70 ACe.

Mounting couplers to this unit is a bit of a bear. So before I get comments about the couplers on this unit, I thought I’d better mention this. The Aristocraft couplers seen in the photos are temporary so the unit can be used while we wait on a delivery of Kadee couplers for it. The MTH couplers that came with the unit only worked on the pilot that was attached to the truck. This pilot would move back and forth with the truck on curves, kind of like some O gauge locomotives. If you use the immovable pilot that mounts to the actual frame of the locomotive and is supplied extra with the locomotive that is actually proto-typically correct, you have to buy your own couplers because the MTH couplers won’t work on the permanent pilot.? There were no other options in the box.

Here are a batch of close up photos of this MTH BNSF SD70 ACe. This locomotive is the most powerful locomotive I have and the sound system is not to be believed, as it is very accurate, along with all the other features on the locomotive. To date, this locomotive has to be the closest to the real thing in model form I’ve ever seen.

Ken, since it’s a MTH, is it1/32 not 1/29? does it look visibly smaller than a USA SD70? You feel it pulls better than the Dash9 or a SD 70?

Pete Lassen said:

Ken, since it’s a MTH, is it1/32 not 1/29? does it look visibly smaller than a USA SD70? You feel it pulls better than the Dash9 or a SD 70?

You must have missed the advertising hype of Aristo and the WOW factor for 1/29th Pete. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

It is somewhat noticeably smaller but it seems to pull better then the dash 9 or SD70. Also, as mentioned before it has a full metal gear system.

If you’re not running Aristocraft & USA units with it, it sizes up ok to LGB, Aristocraft & USA cars but it is 1/32. It’s a long locomotive and the height is just slightly under but high enough to make it look right in my opinion. If you set the locomotives side by side, you will notice a difference but it doesn’t seem to bother people watching it run.

As a matter of fact, I have had no comments about size difference from anyone in the public, even model railroaders (including some G scalers) who were watching this unit run. This unit does have some traction tires, so I added cars until it started slipping and got to 21. I ran the locomotive with all 21 cars for 46 minutes straight at a moderate speed and the motors were still somewhat cool to the touch, not excessively warm or hot by any means. The locomotive also can creep along at an amazing 1 mile per hour and can operate on DCC systems or MTH’s DCS system. There is a switch underneath to go between DCS or DCC and as mentioned before, I think it’s probably got the best sound system I’ve ever heard before on any model train. The ditch lights also flash at the correct pace when the horn is blown and they go back to steady after a few seconds. The unit also has a capacitor system and no longer needs a battery.

There are a large amount of adjustments that can be made to the smoke and the sound and the unit has a grade crossing whistle button on DCS or DCC and man does that sound good! The bell is also very prototypical and doesn’t ring too fast like on some G scale sound systems I’ve heard.

The unit also has considerable volume, if you like that. The one drawback that I found is that the sanding pipes are too fragile and hang down and stick way out in front and behind each truck on both sides and are easily broken if you’re not careful when putting the engine on the track, handling it from the bottom or putting it in/taking it out of the box. It’s proto-typically correct but way too fragile.

MTH had to send me two new side frames because those plastic sanding pipes broke in factory packing and the parts are not available separately. They broke because the plastic bag that the locomotive was in was bunched up underneath the front truck when the locomotive was put into the styrofoam container.

I performed a test by putting 18 large modern and heavy freight cars from Aristocraft, USA & LGB behind all three units. This was the result.

The MTH pulled all 18 without slipping and drew less than a a third of an amp extra.

The Aristocraft Dash 9 started slipping at 15 cars but was still able to pull all 18 after it got up to speed which took a little bit. It was also slipping somewhat on the curves and my curves are 16 foot diameter. It drew 3/4 of an amp extra.

The SD70 from USA slipped considerably at 16 cars and drew a full extra amp of power. At 17 cars, it just sat there and spun out.

Hope that helps a little bit.

I was in the house when I posted this but I will get some pictures and post them separately in a bit of the size difference between other locomotives and cars. Maybe that’ll help a little too.

Ken

Here are the photo comparisons.

First to an Aristocraft single dome Monsanto tank car.

I

2nd to an LGB flat car.

3rd to a modern LGB bulkhead flarcar.

4th to an LGB grain hopper.

5th to a USA caboose.

6th to an Aristocraft Evans boxcar.

7th to an Accucraft coal porter.

8th to an Aristocraft U25B.

9th to an Aristocraft Dash 9.

10th to a Bachmann 4-6-0.

11th to a USA Trains SD70.

Apologies on the stuffed Ringling Brothers elephant in the photos. One of the kids in ouf family left it here.

Hope these photos help a little.

The difference is much more noticable next to the other locos so maybe best to not double-head. I’ve seen some folks put a flatcar between the smaller MTH loco and the rest of the train and that seems to help. If you add a couple lbs weight to the SD70MAC and Dash 9 they should be able to pull much more.

Deleted dup post

Dan,

You are correct and that’s why I run it with other MTH units or by itself. I still really like the locomotive because of the sound and power and it’s a hit with the public as well.

Thanks!

Ken

it is gorgeous

if it were slightly larger i would have ten

Understandable John.

We only have the GS4, SD70 ACe and an Amtrak Dash 8.

Those can run together if need be I suppose…

Like Dan said it looks different next to the D9, but that is one monster locomotive anyway! I do run 1/29 and 1/32 cars on my trains, the 1/32 is a tank car , so it isn’t really noticeable, so I probably wouldn’t have much of an issue running one on my layout. Thanks for all the pictures Ken!

We run both scales also Pete. I’m not picky on size with the exception of running locomotives together, although I did notice something interesting yesterday when I was watching a BNSF coal train go by here. The SD70 ACe that was the lead locomotive on the train looked to be a foot or more lower in height then the trailing Dash 9, so maybe it’s not too far off after all, if I was seeing it right!

Thanks Pete!

Ken